West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum will recognize Comfort Research with the inaugural Circular Economy Leadership Award on Wednesday, October 25 at the Grand Rapids Ballet’s Peter M. Wege Theatre.
The Circular Economy Leadership Award honors an organization for successful efforts to promote waste diversion and the development of a circular economy in West Michigan through excellence of internal programs and practices or promotion of diversion within its clients or community. It is one three new awards WMSBF has created as part of its annual Sustainable Business of the Year Awards.
Some of Comfort Research accomplishments include:
- Becoming zero-waste to landfill.
- Strategically placed recycling bins with simple, easy to understand labels allows everyone to quickly know what bin their waste can be processed in.
- Recycling 100% of internally generated production waste
- Recycling all shipping skids, cardboard, foam, and beans
- Recycling 97% of all office waste including food, paper, metal and electronics.
- Developed long lasting UltimaX beans from 80% post-consumer recycled content, UltimaX fiber from recycled soda bottles in our pet bed lines, and use 100% post-consumer shredded polyethene foam in the Fuf seating line – All which are 100% recyclable.
- 42,000 LBS. of organic compost that is turned into rich fertile soil.
- 150,000 LITERS of water processed via our water fill stations.
- 397,916 LBS. of recycled waste. This includes items such as plastics, cardboard, eps and metal. Thats the same weight as over 89,000 Big Joe Dorm chairs.
The Triple Bottom Line Bash is the signature function for local sustainable business professionals. This year’s sold-out event is presented by Consumers Energy.